Church of Santa Maria


The viscountcy of Cabrera was a territory which, in the religious sphere, comprised various parishes with their churches and hermitages offering religious services for society. Likewise, many different monasteries of various religious orders were founded.

The first historical mention of the parish of Santa Maria de Vidreres goes back to the 11th century. Some centuries later, in the 1358 document “Constitucions dels castells” (Constitutions of Castles), this parish is mentioned as among the possessions of the viscounts of Cabrera together with Sant Iscle Castle, a military structure that was part of the viscountcy and ruled the Vidreres district from the time of its construction in the 12th century. The patron saints of the village patrons, venerated in a side chapel of the parish temple, are Sant Iscle and Santa Victòria, as during the Middle Ages the relics of the saint had been held in the castle chapel. The present-day church of Santa Maria is the result of the extensive architectural reformation carried out at the end of the 18th century, in a baroque neoclassical style.