Tower of the former Palau-Castell

MILITARY ROUTE

The Viscountcy of Cabrera bordered territories controlled by other feudal lordships (Cardona, Montcada, Cruïlles, the Church, etc.), with which it maintained relations that, depending on the period and circumstances, could be more or less cordial.

Located beside the present-day parish church, this tower formed part of the ancient castell de Palautordera. This imposing structure has withstood the passage of time and is now integrated as the bell tower of the església de Santa Maria.

The original tower, with a circular floor plan and built with river stones, reflects medieval construction techniques. Its upper section was modified in later periods with the addition of two hexagonal storeys made of ashlar. Each face of this upper section features a semicircular-arched window. The structure is crowned with a pyramidal roof topped with stepped battlements.

Documentary evidence on the castell de Palautordera is scarce. The earliest historical references date from 908 and 996, in texts that mention the villa Vitaminea que vocant Palacio, indicating the existence of a fortified settlement. The same name reappears in 1045. Over time, the castle lost its defensive function, and in the 16th century, the present-day parish church was built, incorporating parts of the pre-existing structure.

IMÁGENES