Torcafelló Castle

MILITARY ROUTE

The Viscountcy of Cabrera was organised around a network of castles and fortified houses, which served as the seats of political and military power for the medieval nobility. This defensive system was complemented by the presence of several walled towns and watchtowers.

The earliest documentary reference we have to the castell de Torcafelló dates from 1106, when it was linked to the Cabrera lineage, although, thanks to archaeological excavations carried out between 1999 and 2006, we know that its history dates back to the 11th century. During the 12th century, several important renovations were carried out, but a century later the castle was abandoned and gradually fell into ruin. In the 15th century, the capella de Sant Jordi was built on top of its remains. This structure was adapted for military purposes during the fortification of the hill in the context of the Segona Guerra Carlina, in the mid-19th century, and was used as a tower for a military optical telegraph line. The Taller d’Història de Maçanet de la Selva began its restoration in 1988.