The Church of Santa Maria de Sils is mentioned in a papal bull issued by Pope Luci III in 1185, in which it appears among the possessions of the Benedictine Monastery of Sant Salvador de Breda. It was originally a church, possibly of Romanesque origin, located at the centre of a small group of houses near the estany. In the 1358 document Constitucions dels castells, the parish of Sils is recorded as forming part of the Vescomtat de Cabrera. The building was extensively renovated in the 18th century in a Baroque-Neoclassical architectural style, although it retains a Gothic side chapel dedicated to Sant Llop and a 14th-century tombstone beside the entrance. The bell tower was remodelled in 1907 by the gironí architect Rafael Masó.